Now in a new edition, this exceptionally successful survey text introduces the faith, belief, and practice of Islam from its earliest origins up to its contemporary resurgence. John L. Esposito, an internationally renowned expert on Islam, traces the development of this dynamic faith and its impact on world history and politics. Lucidly written and expansive in scope, Islam: The Straight Path, Fourth Edition, provides keen insight into one of the world´s least understood religions. It is ideally suited for use in courses on Islam, comparative religions, and Middle Eastern history and culture.
NEW TO THE FOURTH EDITION:
* A revised Chapter 5, "Religion and Politics," provides more focused and up-to-date coverage of Osama bin Laden´s influence and the continued growth of extremism; the relationship of Islam to violence; the meaning of jihad and the origins of a global jihad ideology; the role of suicide bombing; and the influence of Saudi Arabia´s Wahhabi Islam.
* An updated Chapter 6, "The Struggle for Islam in the 21st Century," covers Muslim responses to new social and political contexts and presents the diverse and competing positions--from traditionalist to modernist--of contemporary Muslim leaders on issues of religious authority, women´s rights, Shariah, violence, and terrorism.
* More extensive treatment of early Islam in Chapters 1 and 2
* An enhanced art program featuring twenty-one photos and three maps
* A new appendix that includes an extensive timeline of key events in the history of Islam
* A FREE 6-month subscription to Oxford Islamic Studies Online (www.oxfordislamicstudies.com), edited by John L. Esposito. Please look inside for details.